Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lady Gaga's - The Fame Monster



Lady Gaga. Two words that have become synonymous with a few things: crazy, larger than life, fashion, fame, and most of all, talent. This b!tch has got it. From the release of the first single Bad Romance, it is apparent that Lady Gaga has still got it when it comes to churning out the catchy hooks and outrageous music videos. This eight-song studio album was intended on being an extended release with The Fame, but Gaga decided that this material was good enough to stand on it's own. I happen to agree. Buy it.

Song By Song Analysis:

Bad Romance: Techno riffs, gibberish, a ridiculously catchy hook, and a ever-so intruiging music video with some French sprinkled on top make for an excellent choice in first single off of this album. Even if the catchiest parts of the song are "rara's and romamama's", it's still catchy - not saying that those are the catchiest parts - the whole song is pop genius, and is apparently (according to Gaga herself) about falling in love with a friend.

Alejandro: Interesante. The beat's melodic chirps remind me of an Ace of Base melody. Note, this is not a bad thing, Ace of Base is pretty amazing. However, this song hasn't really stuck to me like some of the other cuts from this album have. I'm definitely sure it will grow though, because when I initially got this cut a few days ago I kept skipping it; As of yesteday though, I kept it in the album's rotation, and appreciated it. I'm starting to like it.

Monster: "Don't call me Gaga." Haha. Something happens when a producer and artist connect. This is proven with Timberlake/Timbaland, or Carey/Dupri, or Asher Roth/Yoel: magic is made, and everyone can hear it. RedOne and Lady Gaga seem to have found that connection. This song is really awesome. It's just another track for me, but I'm sure if someone is going through this situation, they can rock on to this track. I definitely do not skip it. On the 3:25 mark, some amazing production was done. "That boy that boy that boy... is a monster" Makes my ears feel good.

Speechless: I hate comparisons, but the begining of this song reminds me of something that Freddie Mercury would've sung. The whole song has that sort of sound, the sort of sound she utilized for Brown Eyes, a song from her last album. I don't love it, but I think it's nice. Definitely a better attempt at this sound than Brown Eyes, with a better vocal. I would love to hear her do an accoustic of this.
Dance in the Dark: Holy cow, another comparison. The begining of THIS song reminds me of Careless Whisper by Wham!. I wonder if she intended on this connection, since the song is "Dance in the Dark" and the hook of Careless Whisper includes the line, "I never want to dance again". I also can't help but think Gaga is taking advantage of pop culture's obsession with all things Vampire/Werewolf whe she references reverences said myths in this song. Like the song - I don't skip it, but I'm not really feeeeeeling it.

Telephone: First things first: Beyonce is on this track. This track is flipping awesome. Somehow two completely different genre's have melded together to make something sensational (amazing production). Lady Gaga's techno-electronic-pop and Beyonce's i'm-a-bad-b!tch beats will make you shake that thang and feel their irritation at this bug-a-boo who won't quit calling these ladies. Whoever he was that bugged them, we must thank him for being the inspiration for this jam. This is a jam. Jam out to it.

So Happy I Could Die: Is this song about masterbation? Is this song about same-sex crushes? Did I even have to ask that question? Am I reading too much into this and sounding like a pervert? I don't care either way, this beat is sick. The hook is catchy. I just want to see what this crazy lady does with this song video-wise, if it becomes a single (which it should). I really like this song.

Teeth: What is this? It's really different. Makes me think of vampires again. She really wants to see someone's teeth though, so it probably could be Edward Cullen - I could definitely see her trying to become a vampire (if she already isn't). Yup, she just said "vamp" - oh dear. This song is over some sort of gospel-ish beat, and she keeps trying to pull a Christina Aguilera, and though I do not doubt Gaga's vocal chops, no one can do Christina like Christina. Interesting song. Really wierd though.

blog comments powered by Disqus